Wednesday, July 13, 2011

America's newest badass - Army Ranger Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Petry

Today the 2nd living recipient of the Army's highest honor, the Medal of Honor, was given his award. Army Ranger Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Petry heroically grabbed and threw away a live enemy grenade tossed at him saving 2 other soldiers and himself, but not his hand. The grenade exploded in his hand as he threw it, amputating it at the wrist. One thing I haven't mentioned yet, he did this with gunshot wounds to both legs.

More respect than I can put into words goes out to Sgt. Petry. Thank you for all you do for us, your sacrifice will not be overlooked.

From the Army page's article:

During his last mission, Petry was to locate himself with the platoon headquarters in the target building once it was secured. There, he was to serve as the senior noncommissioned officer at the site for the remainder of the operation. But things quickly got dangerous for Petry and his team. Insurgents opened fire on Petry and his men. Petry had fellow Ranger Pvt. 1st Class Lucas Robinson at his side. The two were to clear the outer courtyard of the target building. It was there the two first saw the enemy.

"I remember seeing the guy out of my peripheral vision," Petry said. "Two guys with AKs at their hip, just spraying. And one happened to strike me right in the thighs. I didn't know I was hit in both thighs, but it hit my left thigh." Robinson was also hit, Petry said. "He was struck right in his ribcage on his left side and he continued along and followed behind me." While wounded and under enemy fire, Petry led Robinson to the cover of a chicken coop in the courtyard. The enemy continued to deliver fire at the two Soldiers. Petry reported contact was made with the enemy, and as a result, team member Sgt. Daniel Higgins moved to the outer courtyard. As Higgins moved toward the chicken coop to meet with the two wounded Soldiers, Petry threw a thermobaric grenade toward the enemy. That explosion caused a lull in enemy fire.

As Higgins evaluated the wounds of both Petry and Robinsion, an insurgent threw a grenade over the chicken coop. The grenade landed about 10 meters from the three Rangers, knocked them to the ground, and wounded Higgins and Robinson. With three Soldiers taking cover in the coop, an insurgent threw yet another grenade. This time, the grenade landed just a few feet from the three Soldiers -- much closer than the earlier grenade.

"It was almost instinct -- off training," Petry said of his response to the situation. "It was probably going to kill all three of us. I had time to visually see the hand grenade. And I figure it's got about a four-and-half second fuse, depending on how long it has been in the elements and the weather and everything and how long the pin has been pulled. I figure if you have time to see it you have time to kick it, throw it, just get it out there." That's when Petry picked up the grenade and threw it away from him and his buddies. As it turns out, he did have the time to save all three of their lives -- but not time to save his hand.

The grenade exploded as he threw it -- destroying his throwing arm.

"I actually didn't think it was going to go off," Petry said. "I didn't really feel much pain. I didn't know it had gone off and taken my hand until I sat back up and saw it was completely amputated at the wrist." Petry put a tourniquet on his now severed arm, to prevent further blood loss. That was something he said he knew how to do as a result of good Army training. Then he had to focus on those around him. "The younger guys next to me were kind of still in shock and awe," Petry said, and he tasked himself do what it is that makes Americans marvel at their Soldiers. "Maintaining control, maintaining awareness, trying to remain calm -- so they stay calm."

He radioed for help -- but the fighting wasn't over. Staff Sgt. James Roberts engaged the enemy and was able to suppress their fire. But another insurgent began firing, and fatally wounded Spc. Christopher Gathercole. Higgins and Robinson returned fire and killed the enemy. Moments later, Sgt. 1st Class Jerod Staidle, the platoon sergeant, and Spc. Gary Depriest, the platoon medic, arrived in the outer courtyard. After directing Depriest to treat Gathercole, Staidle moved to Petry' s position. Staidle and Higgins then assisted Petry as he moved to the casualty collection point.

Within a week, he'd be back in the United States.


Some pics and video below. Click the source links below for more information and a longer version of his story.

Sources -> via

Related link ->  send a deployed soldier a care package! They are very appreciative and really like to know that we're thinking of them back in the States.

No comments:

Post a Comment